Thai Chicken Salad
As of this past Saturday I’m now 36 weeks pregnant. I really do think I’m one of the luckiest pregnant women in the world as you may have heard a lot of pregnant women have unusual cravings during pregnancy. Amongst the strange cravings I’ve heard pregnant women have include wood and coal.
But so far my cravings have been really good. This pregnancy has to an extent put me off red meat but I absolutely love fresh fruit, vegetables and sour dressings. The only unusual craving I’ve had is ice cubes which I absolutely love! My husband has been laughing at me as I’m not normally a cold drink kind of person but with great fortune Edinburgh as of early February is one of the warmest places in the UK and we haven’t snow yet.
One of my other cravings right now is sour food so I made this Thai Chicken Salad. I got inspiration for this salad from a holiday I had in Thailand a few years ago and I absolutely love Thai food. Also since going on maternity leave I’ve been cooking every day and cooking everything from Italian to Chinese to Scottish food, but not Thai.
This recipe probably isn’t that authentic but it’s really delicious, fresh, sour and really healthy, absolutely perfect for my pregnancy.
Thai Chicken Salad
- 6 chicken thigh fillets
- 1 handful Salad leaves I used a mixed salad bag from my local supermarket
- 8 cherry tomatoes
- 1 handful roast cashew nuts or peanuts, chop roughly
- 2 spring onions chop finely
- 1 lemon grass chop finely
- 1 tsp galangal fresh and chopped finely
- 1 red chili chop finely
- 15 mint leaves chop finely
Ingredients for chicken thigh fillets marinade
- 2 cloves garlic chop finely
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp light brown sugar
- 1 tbsp sunflower seed oil or olive oil
Ingredients for coconut and lime dresssing
- 2 lime leaves
- 240 ml coconut cream
- 1.5 fresh limes only use juice
- 3 tbsp light brown sugar
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1/2 tsp salt
Procedure for coconut and lime dressing **
- Put all the ingredients except the lime juice into a small sauce pan. Boil at first then simmer for 15~20 minutes. Stir often to prevent the ingredients burning at the bottom of the pan.
- Add lime juice and bring it to boil again. Use a sift to pass the dressing and leave the dressing to cool down.
Thai Chicken Salad Procedures
- Marinade chicken thigh fillets for 30 minutes.
- Use a griddle to char grill the chicken and leave it aside to cool down a little bit. Cut the chicken into strips and mix with spring onion, lemon grass, galangal, mint and chilli.
- Place salad leaves and tomato on a plate and place the chicken on top. Sprinkle cashew nuts and dressing on top and it’s ready to serve.
** I will make dressing first then start the other preparation works.