Yes, I handed in my notice on Saturday, packed all my belongings, handed in my keys and left. I haven’t had a chance to say goodbye to all of my colleagues who were really kind to me so I decided to use this blog post to tell them “thank you” for looking after me and for tolerating me during my “silly” moments at work. I’m proud to say I’ve made some real friends at work and will miss a lot of people. It was a really interesting 4 years, 6 months and 4 days (OCD side showing itself) and there were a lot of great moments I’ll remember.
However, I have been unhappy working as a chef for some time (not necessarily because of the place I worked at) and with recent events, my new career which is coming on really well and my husband picking up a lot more work we made the decision for me to quit work and focus full time on my illustration business. That’s not to say I won’t be cooking anymore, if anything the total opposite. Before with work, child, university and everything else I simply had no time for updating this blog but although I’m busy with the illustration side of things I’ll have a lot more time to cook new recipes and update this website.
Recently my health has been a bit funny. Earlier this year I had my gallbladder removed and with the recent travelling, stresses of dealing with my father’s death and jumping from 40C in Taiwan to Scottish autumn 12-15C, my body has been playing up so I’m really into eating light dishes like salads and seafood. I really love all of the main ingredients in this dish so I made a Thai Rice Noodle Seafood Salad. This dish is everything I need right now; sweet, sour, refreshing, light and a little spicy.
I used prawns, mussels and squid in this recipe but there are so many other kinds of seafood you can use for this dish such as scallops, fish meat, langoustine, crab meat etc. So in effect you can use any seafood you want in this recipe.
Hope you like my Thai Rice Noodle Seafood Salad recipe.
Thai Rice Noodle Seafood Salad
- 250 g rice noodle
- 150 g prawns
- 500 g mussels
- 200 g squid
- 12 cherry tomatoes cut into half
Ingredients for dressing
- 1 tbsp lemon grass finely chop
- 1 handful coriander finely chop
- 1 tbsp spring onions finely chop
- 1 chili finely chop
- 1 tsp ginger finely chop
- 1 lemon zest and juice
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp water
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Mix all of the ingredients for making the dressing in a bowl
- Clean the squid and cross-cut it
- Boil a pot of water and blanch the squid and rinse it in cold water after it’s cooked. The squid only needs 2-3 minutes to cook
- Blanch the prawns and rinse in cold water after they are cooked. Peel the shell after the prawns have cooled down
- Wash and remove all the dirt on the mussels. Steam for 3-5 minutes then leave to cool down. Once cooled down remove the shells
- Boil a pot of water to blanch the rice noodle and the soak rice noodle in cold water after it’s cooked. Drain the water and leave it aside. Use a pair of scissors to cut the rice noodles a few times just incase they are too long to eat
- Mix everything together in a big bowl and taste it. Adjust the seasoning for personal taste. Ready to serve!