Spanish Chickpea, Chorizo and Prawn Soup Recipe
As promised in my first blog of the year I’ve decided to start adding Western foods to my website. Some of the foods I have learnt through working as a chef, some through friends or family, and some have been influenced by my travels.
Today I’m sharing a Spanish Chickpea, Chorizo and Prawn Soup recipe. When I travelled to Madrid last year we went to a really famous market called Mercado de San Miguel which offers really beautiful foods and at a couple places that offered food that can be compared to fine dining. We tried a Prawn and Egg on toast dish, which Chris really liked, but our favourite thing was a Spanish soup called “Garbanzos con Langostinos Y Jamon”. This fabulous dish costs 10 Euros a bowl and consisted of a tomato soup with chickpeas, jamon and langoustines.
I personally don’t like copying recipes exactly so here is my variation of this dish. I put chorizo in it instead of Jamon, so it’s a bit spicier and the taste is richer and I used prawns instead of langoustines. As much as I like langoustines they’re a bit difficult to get hold of, even in Scotland!
If you travel to Madrid I really recommend travelling to this market. I’ve included a few pictures of the market below and trust me the food there is beautiful but I hope you enjoy my recipe also.
I’ve also written a recipe for “Chorizo Foraccia” which I’ve included in the photos here.
Credit: A number of these photos and the final photos for this dish were taken by Chris Radley Photography
Spanish Chickpea Chorizo and Prawn Soup Recipe
- 1 medium sized onion
- 450 g freshly chopped tomatoes
- 400 g tinned tomatoes
- 2 small carrots diced
- 800 g tinned tomatoes
- 1 clove garlic
- 150 g chorizo
- 225 g Prawns
- 2 tsp rosemary chopped
- 1 ltr stock you can use chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 pinch saffron
- Chop the onion and garlic finely then heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a stock pan.
- Sauté the onion and garlic first. Sweat these in the pan then add the carrots and sauté for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add the freshly chopped tomatoes and rosemary and sauté for another 2-3 minutes. Then add the tinned tomatoes and 1 litre of stock. Bring to the boil then simmer for 30 minutes.
- Remove the chickpeas from their packaging and rinse under cold water to refresh them. Cut the chorizo into thin slices and remove the shells from the prawns.
- After 30 minutes puree the soup with a pinch of saffron to add colour and leave aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a normal pan and sauté the chorizo first until the fat from the chorizo comes out. Once the fat starts to come out of the chorizo add the chickpeas and mix together. Keep mixing/frying for 3 minutes to let the chickpeas blend their flavour with the chorizo.
- Combine the chickpeas and chorizo with the soup in a suitable size stockpot and simmer for another 30 minutes.
- Add the prawns and cook for another five minutes (the prawns should only take about 5 minutes to cook) then it’s ready to serve. Season with salt and pepper to suit you taste. I used some rosemary to garnish the dish but that’s entirely optional.