Steamed Tofu with prawn
Yesterday I went to the supermarket opposite my house, Sainsbury’s, and was really happy to find that they are now selling tofu. One of my favourite things to cook with but one of the more inconvenient things is Tofu, inconvenient as it means I have to go to the Chinese supermarket. Tofu is one of the greatest things to come out of Chinese cuisine. It’s incredibly health and has high protein, vitamins, calcium and minerals but it’s also low in calories, sodium and fat.
Research has also shown that tofu is great for combating heart disease and is good for ladies when they’re going through their menopause.
So, with all those great benefits, why can’t we buy tofu in every supermarket in the UK? I think it’s because people don’t know how to cook tofu or they had bad experiences with a tofu dish that has been cooked incorrectly. For example, my husband was talking to his colleagues and they said when they tried to cook tofu it turned into a sloppy mess. Cooked properly it should keep it’s shape and texture.
Tofu is a very common ingredient in Chinese and Taiwanese cooking. We cook Tofu in many different cooking ways including stir-fry, pan fry, steam, stew, deep fry and more.
So, here is my recipe for my tofu dish today. It’s called “steamed tofu with prawn”. The preparation time for this dish is around 20 minutes. It’s quick to make, simple, healthy and cooked without any oil at all. How great is that?! Next time people who try to call Chinese food unhealthy might start thinking again. People in western society often think Chinese food is about sweet and sour, prawn toasts, msg, fat etc but in actual fact good Chinese food is nothing like this.
Credits: Preparation photos were taken by myself but final photos were taken by Chris at: http://www.chrisradleyphotography.com
Steamed Tofu with prawn
- 250 g prawn
- 500 g tofu
- 1 piece ginger chop finely
Seasonings for prawns
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp rice wine
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1/4 tsp pepper powder
Seasonings for sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1/2 stock cube
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp potato powder
- Take out the tofu from package and dry it. Sprinkle a couple pinches of salt on the tofu and leave for a couple minutes.
- Cut the tofu into 1 cm thick pieces. Use a cookie cutter to cut the tofu and use a teaspoon to dig a small hole in central of tofu.
- Use a food processor to process the prawn with all the seasonings.
- Roll the prawn mixture from step 3 into a small ball and put in the central of tofu.
- Steam the tofu with full power for 10 minutes.
- Mix all the seasonings for sauce in a small saucepan and bring it to boil. You must stir it occasionally while it cook.
- Pour appropriate among of sauce on top of tofu and ready to serve.