Smoked Duck Noodle Soup
In Taiwan, Taiwanese people will use smoked duck’s bone to make a special stock for noodle soup and duck meat for this smoked duck noodle soup. I always remember when I went to restaurants to have Peking duck (Beijing roast duck) with my family and my mother always asked for the bone to take home after dinner. She will use this duck bone to make stock and make rice soup in the morning for us as breakfast. The fragrance and the taste of that rice soup is so amazing. You can feel every inch of your body is awake after the first sip of the rice soup. Ah, such a wonderful memory. Now my mother is not in the UK so I have had to learn to cook this for my husband and I. I decided to cook this smoked duck noodle for us in our day off for our brunch but ever since I cooked it Chris has been pining for more.
I believe a good noodle soup or rice soup can enrich and bless your body even your mind. So here is my recipe for a delicious smoked duck noodle soup
Credits: Preparation photos were taken by myself but final photos were taken by Chris at: https://chrisradleyphotography.com
Smoked Duck Noodle Soup
- 4 duck legs
- 2 portions noodles
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 ltr water
- 2 spring onions
- 3 slices ginger
- 5 cm cinnamon stick
- 1 star anise
- 1 piece dried tangerine peel
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
Marinade for duck legs
- 1 tbsp Sichuan pepper
- 1 tbsp salt
- 2 tbsp Shaoxing rice wine
Ingredients for smoking duck legs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp flour
- 2 bags teabags or tea leaf
- 2 star anise
- Marinade duck legs with the marinade seasonings for 1 hour.
- Heat up 2 tablespoon of oil in a sauce pan. Stir-fry the spring onion, ginger, all the spices.
- Pour the water, soy sauce, brown sugar into procedure 2 and boil it.
- Put duck legs into procedure 3 after it boiled and bring it to boil again. After boil turn the gas power to the lowest gas power and simmer for 45 minutes. Keep the sauce for stock later.
- Line the inside of a large roasting pan with foil and spread with ingredients for smoke the duck. Place a rack (cooling racks work well) inside the roasting pan. Place the duck legs on top of the rack (skin side down) and cover with tin foil to trap the smoke. Put the roasting pan on centre of the burner and heat up the roasting pan with moderate heat and after 2~3 minutes you will notice smoke coming out. Cook for a further 10 minutes. Brush some sesame oil on top of the duck legs after smoking.
- De-bone 2 duck legs and use the bones along with the sauce from Step 4 to make the stock. Put everything in to a small sized stock pot and simmer for 1 hour.
- Cook the noodle and place it in a bowl, pour some stock from procedure 6 and place the duck legs and duck meat on top with some spring onion and coriander as garnish.