Carrot Cake Recipe
It’s been long time since my last blog. Before I gave birth I was able to update this blog every 5-7 days but since then I have been busy watching my daughter grow up. I have also been really busy with my college course, I had some health issues which put me out of action for a little while and I’ve also been busy setting up my illustration business.
But one thing I really miss is updating this blog with new recipes and communicating with many of the wonderful people who leave comments here.
So this is a new recipe I want to share with you. It’s not Chinese/Taiwanese food, it’s a carrot cake.
The first time I ever tried carrot cake was after I moved to the UK. We don’t have carrot cake in Taiwan and I have to admit the first time I heard about carrot cake I wondered if a vegetable cake could be tasty. But in fact, carrot cake is tasty! Delicious even! It’s now one of my favourite cakes and can also be quite a healthy cake if you don’t put too much icing on the top.
I learned to make this while working as a pastry chef at the Sheraton Hotel. I worked at the Sheraton for about 18 months and for a few months within that time I worked as a pastry chef. I’ve eaten many different carrot cakes but this is still my favourite recipe by far. The cake itself is very soft, moist and flavoured (at least for myself and Chris) perfectly.
I also illustrated this recipe for my illustration blog and “they draw and cook” website. “They draw and cook” website is for people or illustrator who like to draw and cook (just like me) to share the two joy in their life. It’s a great website to check out.
One thing to note, as a savoury chef and ourselves being experienced photographing savoury food, sweet foods are really hard to photograph. I’m reasonably happy with this photo but definitely want to do a lot more bakery and as and when time allows photograph it.
Hope you like the recipe below.
Carrot Cake Recipe
Carrot Cake Ingredients
- 3 large eggs
- 250 g sugar
- 175 ml vegetable oil or sunflower oil
- 200 g plain flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate soda
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp mixed spice
- 325 g grated carrot
Lemon Icing Ingredients
- 225 g softened butter
- 500 g icing sugar
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 150c. Prepare a muffin tin and cup cake cases.
- Mix the oil, sugar and eggs in a large bowl or electric mixer until totally combined.
- Sift flour, bicarbonate soda, baking powder and mixed spice in a bowl. Then gently mix into step 2.
- Fill the cup cake cases until they are 80% full and bake for 20 minutes.
- Sift icing sugar first before you mix with butter and lemon juice in a electric mixer and beat until light and creamy.
- After the cake has cooled down pipe the icing on top of the cake.