As of this past Saturday I’m now 36 weeks pregnant. I really do think I’m one of the luckiest pregnant women in the world as you may have heard a lot of pregnant women have unusual cravings during pregnancy. Amongst the strange cravings I’ve heard pregnant women have include wood and coal.
But so far my cravings have been really good. This pregnancy has to an extent put me off red meat but I absolutely love fresh fruit, vegetables and sour dressings. The only unusual craving I’ve had is ice cubes which I absolutely love! My husband has been laughing at me as I’m not normally a cold drink kind of person but with great fortune Edinburgh as of early February is one of the warmest places in the UK and we haven’t snow yet.
One of my other cravings right now is sour food so I made this Thai Chicken Salad. I got inspiration for this salad from a holiday I had in Thailand a few years ago and I absolutely love Thai food. Also since going on maternity leave I’ve been cooking every day and cooking everything from Italian to Chinese to Scottish food, but not Thai.
This recipe probably isn’t that authentic but it’s really delicious, fresh, sour and really healthy, absolutely perfect for my pregnancy.
6 chicken thighs fillets
Some salad leaves. I used a mixed salad bag from my local supermarket, which includes watercress, spinach and rocket
8 cherry tomatoes cut into half
Handful roast cashew nuts or peanuts, chop roughly
2 spring onions, chop finely
1 Lemon grass, chop finely
1 teaspoon chopped fresh galangal
1 red chilli, chop finely
12~15 mint leaves, chop finely
Ingredients for marinade chicken thighs fillet:
2 garlic cloves, chop finely
3 tablespoons soy sauce
1 teaspoon light brown sugar
1 tablespoon sunflower seed oil or olive oil
Ingredients for Coconut and Lime dressing:
2 lime leaves
240 ml coconut cream
1.5 fresh limes, only use juice
3 tablespoons light brown sugar
2 tablespoons fish sauce
½ teaspoon salt
Procedure for Coconut and Lime dressing:
- Put all the ingredients except the lime juice into a small sauce pan. Boil at first then simmer for 15~20 minutes. Stir often to prevent the ingredients burning at the bottom of the pan.
- Add lime juice and bring it to boil again. Use a sift to pass the dressing and leave the dressing to cool down.
** I will make dressing first then start the other preparation works.
Thai Chicken Salad Procedure:
- Marinade chicken thigh fillets for 30 minutes.
- Use a griddle to char grill the chicken and leave it aside to cool down a little bit. Cut the chicken into strips and mix with spring onion, lemon grass, galangal, mint and chilli.
- Place salad leaves and tomato on a plate and place the chicken on top. Sprinkle cashew nuts and dressing on top and it’s ready to serve.