We often eat this Taiwanese home made noodle salad during the summer but as I’m pregnant this year and I feel my body temperature is quite high, I’ve been really craving this dish. I believe a lot of pregnant ladies can understand how I feel when their bodies are growing and you feel really quite hot. Normally in Scotland I’m absolutely freezing but even with the recent temperature drop I’m feeling comfortable.
So now rather than me chattering I’m enjoying watching my husband and my cat chatter instead.
My good friend Lorenzo, remember the Italian guy I used to live with, once asked me if it’s difficult to make good noodles at home. Without a pasta machine it’s very difficult but with a pasta machine it’s just so much easier and so much more consistent. With this in mind we popped out to a local Italian patisserie that we go to and bought a really fantastic little pasta machine.
Taiwanese home made noodle salad is great for pregnant woman but also really good for people trying to lose weight as the ingredients are very light and fresh. There’s no frying here and in the case of the chicken I steamed it. I also made a sesame sauce which is really delicious.
Ingredients for noodles:
1 teaspoon salt
Lye water (lye water is like bicarbonate of soda in a bottle)
Ingredients for salad:
1 cucumber, julienne
1 small sized carrot, julienne
2 chicken breasts
2 large sized eggs
Ingredients for sesame dressing:
150g toasted white sesame
1/2 cup water
1 tablespoon sunflower oil
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vinegar
2 cloves garlic
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 teaspoon sugar
Procedure for noodles:
- Mix all of the ingredients for the noodles together in a large mixing bowl. Kneed the dough until it’s loose and even.
- Flatten the dough as per the fourth preparation below and cut into even amounts.
- Roll each load of dough until it’s thin enough to fit through the pasta machine (approximately 1cm thick)
- Use the pasta machine to flatten the mixture. Repeat this process several times and each time make the rollers in the machine closer. In the case of the machine I used I set it at the end to setting number 4 (1 being the thickest, 9 being the thinnest).
- After the dough has been flattened feed the mixture through the rollers that cut the dough on the other end. Cover the noodles with flour and set aside.
- When you’re ready to cook the noodles, boil a pan of water and cook the noodles for approximately 2-3 minutes. After they are cooked cool the noodles down with cold water and then drain the water. Cover the noodles with a little cooking oil (sesame/sunflower etc) to stop the noodles sticking together).
Procedure for salad:
- Julienne the cucumber and carrot.
- Season the chicken breast with salt and pepper. Roll the chicken breast in some cling film and steam the chicken breast until it has cooked.
- After it has cooked remove the cling film, allow it to cool down and then julienne the chicken.
- Beat the eggs, mix with the soy sauce and a little white pepper powder. Heat up a frying pan and make a crepe-thin fried egg. After the egg has cooled julienne it.
Procedure for sesame dressing:
- Toast the white sesame in a frying pan. Use a food processor or smoothie machine to puree the white sesame with 1 tablespoon of sunflower oil.
- Add all of the ingredients into the machine and continue to mix everything together until there are no lumps. Taste the sauce before service. You can adjust the seasoning yourself to suit personal preference. I like the dressing quite strong but adjust the amounts of salt and soy sauce to suit.
Noodles are really photogenic!