Hello everyone, I’m home! So two days ago we returned from our holiday and we’re still suffering from jet leg (not helped by both of us shooting a full day’s wedding the day after we returned) but also suffering from not being able to eat the food we’ve been eating in Taipei and to an extent Bali.
Before going on holiday I was starting to struggle for ideas about what to cook but going home and eating both my grandma’s food but also visiting a number of restaurants that I used to go to has rejuvinated me. I’ll be writing up some restaurant reviews for various restaurants that we visited in the very near future and these restaurants had everything from authentic Chinese and Taiwanese food to the most fabulous Japanese fine dining.
So this dish is called Stir Fried Rice Cake with Spring Greens and Pork (long title I know!). Rice cake is known as Nian Gao in Chinese. Nian Gao has been part of Chinese cuisine for more than 3000 years and there are many different kinds of Nian Gao. Nian Gao can be eaten sweet or savoury. This recipe was influenced by Nian Gao from Ningbo.
The first time I ate this dish was in one of my elementary school classmate’s home. Her grandparents came from Ningbo and they would cook this dish for me. Immediately after eating it for the first time I fell in love with this dish.
150g of shredded pork
200g spring greens, shredded
450g Ningbo rice cake (I bought this from my local Chinese Supermarket)
1 chili shredded
4 dried shitake mushrooms (soak in hot water to soften them and then slice)
1 teaspoon chopped ginger
2 cloves garlic, chopped finely
SEASONINGS FOR MARINADING PORK:
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon of potato or cornflour starch
2 tablespoons soy sauce
Couple drops of dark soy sauce
1 tablespoon water
1 teaspoon sugar
- Marinade the pork for 20 minutes and heat up a wok with a little bit of cooking oil. Stir fry the pork until it’s cooked on the outside.
- Beat the eggs and add 1/2 teaspoon soy sauce and 1/2 teaspoon sugar. Keep mixing together until all of the seasonings have mixed evenly.
- Heat a frying pan with one tablespoon of oil and just fry the eggs. Once fried leave aside.
- Heat up a wok with a small amount of oil. Stir fry the ginger and garlic until the fragrance comes out from the wok. Add the spring greens into the wok and stir fry for 1 minute then add the rice cake and shitake mushrooms with half a cup of water.
- Lower the heat and continue to stir fry the dish until the rice cake has softened. Add the pork and eggs and continue to stir fry the dish for another 2 minutes. It’s now cooked and ready to serve.
TIME TO PREPARE: 30 minutes
SERVES: 4 people
Credit: All photos were taken by Chris at: http://www.chrisradleyphotography.com