I’ve mentioned so many benefits of tofu in my previous blog post and here is another tofu recipe that I want to share with you today.
“Fish fragrant tofu” (魚香豆腐) is one of many famous dishes from Sichuan cuisine. It has “fish” in the name of it but without fish in this dish. It’s called “fish fragrant” because the ingredients for this dish are usually used when cooking fish but people use it for cook tofu, eggplant and other dishes.
There is a story about this fish fragrant dish. A long time ago in Sichuan, there was a family who were really serious when It came to cooking fish. They will use ginger, spring onion, garlic, mince, chilli bean sauce and other ingredients to cook with fish. One day, the lady of this family didn’t want to waste the ingredients so she used the ingredients to cook another dish. She was however realy nervous that it wouldn’t taste nice and her husband wouldn’t like it.
Her husband came home while she was thinking about what she should explain to her husband later about this dish. Her husband was so hungry from work he didn’t wait for dinner to start and literally just took a few bites of this dish. He asked his wife: ”Oh, this dish is the most tasty dish that I ever had in my life, how did you do it?” She told him how she cooked it and they gave the name of this dish “fish fragrant fry (魚香炒)”. This is how “fish fragrant” this name came from.
People who are vegetarian can also cook this dish but just without using any mince. You can adjust the amount of chilli and chilli bean sauce if you prefer your food more or less spicy.
As people who follow my Facebook page will know, I recently bought a pink knife bag. I really like anything that’s pink and when I saw this bag online I just had to buy it! Here are some of photos of my new pink knife bag.
(Don’t you think this is cutest chef knife bag ever?!)
2 boxes of tofu (around 692g, I bought it from Sainsbury supermarket)
1 spring onion, chop finely and I used half of it for sauce and the other half I keep for garnish
2 cloves garlic, chop finely
2 thin pieces ginger, chop finely
1 chilli, chop finely
100g beef or pork mince. I used beef mince in this dish.
1 tablespoon chilli bean sauce
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon soy sauce
Couple drops of sesame oil
1 cup water
Marinade for mince:
1 teaspoon sugar
1 tablespoon soy sauce
½ teaspoon salt
Couple pinch white pepper powder
- Marinade mince with sugar, soy sauce, salt and white pepper powder for 15 minutes.
- Remove the packaging from the tofu and cut it into 1.5 cm thick pieces.
- Heat a wok with 1 tablespoon of oil and stir fry the spring onion, garlic, ginger and chilli for 30 seconds.
- Add mince into the wok and keep stir-frying it until the mince is cooked.
- Add chilli bean sauce to stir-fry it for 30 seconds. Add rest of the seasonings into wok and bring it to boil.
- Add tofu into wok and gently push them into seasonings and turn the gas power to the lowest and simmer it for 10 minutes.
7. Place the tofu onto a plate and pour some sauce on top. Sprinkle the rest of the chopped spring onion on top and it’s ready to serve.
* serves 4 people and cook time is around 30 minutes.
Credit: All photos were taken by Chris at: http://www.chrisradleyphotography.com