Stir-fry pickled bamboo shoot with chilli beef mince is one of my favourite dishes that my grandma cooks. Every time I go back to Taiwan I always ask grandma cook this dish for me which she does and I really love.
Grandma is a very traditional Chinese and Taiwanese mother and grandma. Kitchen is her stage and she is the queen of kitchen. She will kick you out if you try to cook in her kitchen and her happiness comes from her children or grand children’s compliments about her food. So, I especially taught my husband to say: “I love you grandma, your food is delicious” when we went back to Taiwan.
She is original from Guangdong (Canton), China. So all the dishes she has cooked for her family are always influenced by Cantonese cuisine. She and my grandfather are two of the best chefs in my heart. She is also my role model for my old and retired life. She is always full of energy, enthusiasm and has a real passion for life. She’s been through a lot of really bad moments in her life but she always stays such a strong, happy person and rarely complains about her life. She is also the busiest old retired lady I’ve ever met in my life. She learnt (patchy) English, how to swim, play the erhu fiddle, ballroom dance, join the chorus, become a member of women’s Federation meeting and much much and more. She also has so many friends who always invite her shopping and have tea together. Even she is that busy she still manages to look after us. Whenever we come home she always prepares the tastiest dinner imaginable. I wish when I get old I can be just like her.
I was so excited to see they sell this pickled bamboo shoot in my local Chinese supermarket. I even called grandma on Skype to show her it. I know how to cook bamboo shoots just like grandma but I still ask for it when I go home and somehow it tastes so much better.
400g pickled bamboo shoot
100g beef mince
2 chillies (optional), chop roughly
1 piece of ginger, chop finely
Marinade for beef mince:
1 tablespoon soy sauce
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon potato starch or corn flour
¼ teaspoon rice wine
2 tablespoon soy sauce
1 teasoon salt
- Soak the bamboo shoot in water for 15 minutes and drain it. Rinse it with water and leave it to dry.
- Cut the bamboo shoot into the size as photo shows.
- Marinade the beef mince with marinade.
- Heat the wok with a little bit oil to fry the bamboo shoot first until the surface looks slightly golden brown. Place it on a plate and leave it aside.
- Heat the wok with 1 tablespoon oil and stir fry the mince for 30 seconds and add chilli, keep stir fry until the mince is cooked.
- Add bamboo shoot and stir fry for a couple minutes. Add seasonings and check the seasonings before plate it up.
* this dish should taste a little bit sour, a little bit spicy. It’s very good to serve with rice. (I always have 2 big bowl of rice with this dish. (shy) )
Credit: All photos were taken by Chris at: http://www.chrisradleyphotography.com